The elections to the German Bundestag will take place on September 26th, 2021.
Germans who reside outside the Federal Republic of Germany and no longer have a domicile within the federal territory may be eligible to vote in the election.
In addition to fulfilling the electoral requirements applicable to all voters, they must
1. either, within the last 25 years and after attaining the age of 14, have lived without interruption in the Federal Republic of Germany1) for at least three months or otherwise have had their habitual residence there, or for other reasons have acquired a personal and direct familiarity with the political conditions in the Federal Republic of Germany and be affected by them; and
2. be registered on an electoral roll in the Federal Republic of Germany. Registration is possible only upon application. The application must be made on an official form and should be submitted soon after publication of this notice. Applications not received by the competent municipal authority before 6 September 2021 cannot be accepted (section 18 (1) of the Federal Electoral Code).
Application forms and information sheets may be obtained online from the Federal Returning Officer (https://www.bundeswahlleiter.de). They may also be obtained from:
- the diplomatic missions and career consular posts of the Federal Republic of Germany,
- the Bundeswahlleiter (Federal Returning Officer) at the following address: Statistisches Bundesamt, Zweigstelle Bonn, Postfach 17 03 77, 53029 BONN, GERMANY, or by email: email@example.com,
- district returning officers in the Federal Republic of Germany.
Further information may be obtained from the embassies and career consular posts of the Federal Republic of Germany
Ottawa, March 15th, 2021
German Missions in Canada
1) A previous domicile or residence in the area stipulated in Article 3 of the Unification Treaty (Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia, as well as the territory of the former Berlin (East)) will also be taken into account.