Work and Travel in Germany with the Youth Mobility Visa


Meet new people, discover the country and get to know its culture!

Woman holding a globe
Woman with globe© www.colourbox.com

The Youth Mobility Agreement between Canada and Germany offers a unique opportunity for young people (between the age of 18 and 35 inclusively at the time of application) to complement their post-secondary education, acquire hands-on work experience, and improve their knowledge of the other country’s language, culture and society. 

Under the YMA, the German Consulate in Toronto may issue a visa to the following individual:

  • Young professionals who wish to obtain further training under a contract of employment and increase their knowledge of Germany´s culture and the German language
  • Young Canadians who wish to do an internship in Germany as part of their studies or Training
  • Canadian post-secondary students who wish to engage in an occupational activity during their academic vacation
  • Young Canadians who wish to stay in Germany for tourism and cultural discovery purposes while being authorized to work to supplement their financial resources

To be eligible for a Youth Mobility visa you must

  • be aged between 18 and 35 inclusively at the time of application
  • be a citizen of Canada and holding a valid Canadian passport
  • not be accompanied by dependent family members

The earliest you may submit your application is six months prior to the planned travel to Germany.

The processing time of the visa is approximately 2 to 3 weeks for complete applications.

If you live in Canada, you can hand in your application at the German Consulate in Toronto in person or send it in by mail.

  • When applying in person:

You must book an appointment with the Visa Section of the German Consulate in Toronto:

  • When applying by mail:

You must send all required documents as listed on the checklist below to the German Consulate General in Toronto - Visa section. Incomplete applications may be returned.

Please note: When applied for by mail, the Youth Mobility visa can only be issued by the Consulate for a maximum period of 90 days. As soon as you arrive in Germany, you must contact the aliens authority in the same city that you indicated as your first housing in your application to request an extension of your Youth Mobility visa. An additional fee of 115,00 EUR will be charged by the aliens authority.

If you live outside of Canada, you have to hand in your application in person at the German Embassy or Consulate General responsible for the area in which you have your ordinary residence or domicile. You can also apply in person at the local foreigners authority in Germany. However, please note that if you apply directly with the local foreigners authority ("Ausländerbehörde") in Germany, you will not be allowed to work before your application is approved. Depending on the local authority, it might also take several weeks to get an appointment and for your application to be processed.

Please note these important regulations concerning the passport for all applicants:

  • Its validity has to extend the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least three months.
  • It has to contain at least two blank pages.
  • It must have been issued within the last ten years.

Please consult our checklist for a list of required documents:

Checklist Youth Mobility visa 2018

Further information and downloads

Related content