Frequently asked questions (FAQ)



Yes, you can. According to the Schengen agreement, Schengen business/visitors/tourist visas are valid for Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. The text on your visa sticker should read “valid for Schengen Staates” in the language of the issuing country.

Please submit your application to the visa section at the consulate of the country which is your primary destination. If you do not have a primary destination among the countries listed above, please apply at the consulate of the country that is your first point of entry.

Yes, you can. Please carefully check your visa’s validity, its number of entries, and the maximum duration of stay (both are indicated on your visa sticker).

Please still submit your bank statements. In addition you should ask your friends/relatives to request an official letter of commitment (a so-called “Verpflichtungserklärung”). Please bring the original letter of commitment when applying for your visa. For more Information, please follow the link below.

We can only accept applicants who hold a valid Canadian permanent resident card or a valid Canadian long-term visa (i.e. a work, study, or visitor’s visa with an ensured permit to re-enter Canada) with multiple entries. Its validity has to extend the duration of your stay by at least three months. If you have not applied for your permanent resident card yet, please contact the competent Canadian authority, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Just submit the requested documents for the kind of visa you want to apply for as well as an original or certified copy of your spouse’s German passport and the original or certified copy of your certificate of marriage.
Please note, however, that your visa is only valid for stays of up to 90 days. If you want to live and work in Germany, you need to apply for a residence Permit.

Please apply for a regular visa depending on the purpose of your child's stay. The original certificate of birth of your child is an additional requirement including a certified translation into English or German, if applicable. A letter of consent and the application form must be signed by both parents. If one parent cannot be present at the appointment, all signatures of this parent must be notarized. In addition, passport copies of both parents are required.

In general, only persons with permanent resident status in Canada are eligible to apply for a visa. If you are only visiting Canada for a short time, you must apply for the visa at the German embassy or Consulate in your home country.

In general, you have to leave your passport. If necessary (if you have an important business trip, you have to apply for another visa, etc) you can take the passport with you after you have applied for a visa and send it back to get a visa stamped in it.

Top of page