1. Processing of visa applications
Applications for a visa to the German Consulate General Toronto can be submitted as normal without restrictions due to COVID-19. Please take note of the general information on visa applications.
2. Simplified procedure for new visas
I. National visa (for long stays; D visa)
The entry restrictions and local lockdown measures may mean that you are not able to use a national visa issued by the Consulate General Toronto prior to the entry into force of the entry restrictions on 17 March 2020 during its period of validity.
As soon as travel is possible again, a new national visa can therefore be issued as part of the simplified procedure upon application. This fast‑track procedure will be available if your date of travel has changed, but the purpose of your stay and destination remain unaltered.
An informal application for the issue of a new visa under a simplified procedure must be submitted to the Consulate General Toronto no later than December 31, 2020. Up-to-date documents proving that the applicant still fulfils the requirements for a visa will have to be submitted. Another interview or appointment booking is not necessary. Please find more information here.
II. Schengen visa (for short stays of up to 90 days; C visa)
A new Schengen visa (stay of up to 90 days within a period of 180 days, C visa) can be issued under the simplified procedure in the following two cases:
- If a C visa already issued could not be used due to the COVID‑19 pandemic.
- If an application for a C visa was withdrawn by the applicant due to the entry restrictions imposed as a result of the COVID‑19 pandemic.
However, it is only possible to issue a C visa under the simplified procedure
- in the case of visas with a validity of a maximum of 90 days (i.e. particularly not in the case of multiannual visas).
- The visa must have been originally applied for at the German Consulate in Toronto.
- Furthermore, the purpose and destination of the intended trip must not have changed.
An informal application for a new visa under the simplified procedure can still be made up to and including Januar 13, 2021. It is possible that up‑to‑date documents proving that the applicant still fulfils the requirements for a visa will have to be submitted. In particular, a new declaration of commitment is necessary if more than six months have passed between the date on which the old declaration of commitment was submitted and the date on which the new visa application is submitted. Another interview or appointment booking is not necessary. Please find more information here.