Book an appointment with the Consular Section
What do I have to consider regarding a personal appointment?
- Only healthy customers are admitted to the Consulate General. If you feel ill (fever, cough, cold) please contact us prior to your Appointment.
- Non-medical face masks are compulsory in the visitor's area of the Consulate General. Please bring your own mouth and nose cover to the appointment. If you wish to, you may bring your own pen (black ink) and sanitary gloves.
Please observe the rules for a minimum distance of 1.5m to other people in the visitor area. To ensure this distance, we have reduced the number of visitors.
Please arrive not earlier than 10 minutes prior to your booked appointment. We ask for your understanding if, due to the distance rules, there may be temporary waiting times before entering the consular area.
Only applicants will be admitted to the appointment; accompanying persons are not permitted. In the case of minors, the holders of parental custody will be granted access, while an accompanying person may accompany those in need of assistance.
Which legal and consular services can I book an appointment for?
It is only possible to book an appointment for the following legal and consular services requiring in-person attendance at the German Consulate General Toronto. Please refer to the Information below to determine if you need to book an appointment. The Consulate General in Vancouver still offers all services in person.
If the service you require is provided without personal attendance, please follow the instructions on our website to request the service via mail.
- Certification of signature (if required by an authority in Germany, i.e. in real estate, commercial or inheritance matters)
- Birth Registration
- Marriage Registration
- Name declaration
- Border crossing certificate
- Translation of driver’s license
- Urn transport certificates
- Legalization of Canadian certificates and documents
- Certification of photocopies
- Applications for retaining German citizenship (Beibehaltungsgenehmigung)
- Application for certificate of German citizenship (“Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis”)
- Pension matters
- General inquiries
If you require any other consular service not listed above, please contact us via our contact form.
If you wish to apply for naturalization, please also contact us using our contact form. Appointments are assigned individually and cannot be booked through our online appointment booking system.
How do I book the appointment?
Please use our free online appointment booking system and ensure that you book one appointment for each individual consular visit. For example, if you AND a family member are applying for a passport, you must book TWO Appointments.:
Click here: Book appointment in Toronto
Clients who have booked a visa appointment in the past and missed the appointment without cancelling beforehand are automatically blocked from booking new appointments. In this case, send us a request using our contact form stating your name, the time and date of your original visa appointment and the reason for missing the appointment in the first place.
Click here: Book appointment in Vancouver
- Visa applications for long-term stays must be submitted at the Consulate General in Toronto.
- Schengen visas can be obtained through the Consulate General of Switzerland in Vancouver or contact the Consulate General of Switzerland to book an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Passports, birth- and marriage certificates can be picked up between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm without a scheduled appointment.
Applicants from the Greater Ottawa Region (National Capital Region of Ottawa and the surrounding counties (administrative units) of Lanark; Leeds and Grenville; Prescott and Russell; Renfrew; Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry) will now have the opportunity to apply for passport renewals at the embassy in Ottawa.
To book your appointment at the German Embassy in Ottawa, please call (613) 232-1101.
Is there a fee for the appointment booking?
The Consulates do not charge fees for passport, visa or any other appointments. Any passport, visa or other fees due will be charged on the day of your appointment.
I have booked the appointment - what now?
Once you have booked an appointment and indicated your correct email-address, you will receive an automated email confirming your appointment details. Should you not receive such an email, you can assume that your appointment has not been successfully booked.
Please refer below for common questions and problems:
You can find technical information here.
Please note that only one application can be accepted per appointment. If you wish to apply for passports for more than one person, you are required to book an appointment for each passport application to be submitted.
Please be aware that the firewall settings of your browser could prevent the website from operating correctly. If this is the case, try using a different browser, change your browser settings, disable your firewall, or try accessing the website from a different PC.
Please also be aware that the appointment booking system is not optimized for mobile devices (smartphone, tablet, etc.).
Please check your email's SPAM folder (sender of the confirmation is email@example.com).
Please cancel the appointment immediately to allow others to book an appointment before booking a new one. Please be advised that the Consulate General reserves the right to deny you further appointments if you do not show for an appointment without cancelling it.
Please cancel the exisiting appointment first. Only then you will be able to rebook your appointment for a different time or date.
- It is not possible to book an appointment over the phone.
- Please make sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before the beginning of your appointment for the security check.
- If you do not find your concern in the list on the appointment pages or if you do not know in which category to book an appointment, please contact the Consulate General for assistance.
Please use this form to contact us in consular matters
The Consulate General in Toronto will be closed on the following Canadian and/or German holidays in 2022:
Holiday Closures of the Consulate General in Toronto for 2022
The Consulate General in Vancouver will be closed on the following Canadian and/or German holidays in 2022:
Holiday Closures of the Consulate General in Vancouver for 2022/2023
Please be advised that we are obliged by government regulations to enforce some security measures in order to provide a safe environment for our visitors and staff. Certain items are not permitted in our waiting area, but may be stored in the provided secure locker box.