Applying for a German old age pension or survivor's pension


Walk by the lake
Walk by the lake© Copyright Colourbox

Pensions from the German Social Security Insurance are only paid upon application and when all conditions are fulfilled (e.g. contributions for a minimal insurance period, age limit).

For the fulfillment of the minimal insurance period, as prescribed by the Agreement on Social Security between Germany and Canada, German insurance periods and insurance periods completed in Canada can be aggregated, resulting in a pension claim. (The aggregation of periods does not increase the pension payment.)

Insurance periods will only be aggregated if the minimum insurance period requirements and the special legal conditions pertaining to pension insurance are fulfilled. Both countries verify separately if the requirements of the respective legislation are met. The applicant can then receive a pension from the German Social Security Insurance and from the Canadian Pension Scheme.

You can receive application forms from your German Pension Authority or from the Canadian Liaison Office as set out in the Agreement on Social Security between Germany and Canada:

Human Resources Development Canada
International Operations, Income Security Programs
355 North River Road, Tower B, 20th floor,
Ottawa, ON K1A 0L1
Tel: (613) 957-1954 or 1 800 255-4786 for TTY users
Fax: (613) 952-8901

Website of Service Canada: Pensions from Abroad

Website of Service Canada: German Pension

For applicants who have made contributions to the Québec Plan and are living in Québec:

Bureau des ententes de sécurité sociale
1055, boul. René Lèvesque Est, 13e étage
Montréal, QC H2L 4S5
Tel: (514) 866-7332 ou sans frais: 1-800-565-7878
Fax: (514) 873-1811

The completed forms can be submitted to Service Canada, which will forward them to the competent German Pension Authority, or directly to the German Pension Authority.

Application processing takes at least up to six months. If you want to inquire about the current status of your applicaton, please contact the pension authority.

The German Foreign Missions can only provide general information and are not a branch of the German Pension Authority abroad. Specific questions with respect to your pension or the amount of your pension can only be answered by the experts of the German Pension Authority.

International Benefits - Application Forms for Foreign Benefits

Related content

Top of page