Passport for Adults - Renewal

The photo shows four German passports. One is open.

German passports, © picture alliance / Arco Images


Do you still have a valid German passport or has your last German passport expired no longer than 15 years ago? Here you can find out how to apply for your new biometric passport.

German passports contain a chip with the holder's fingerprints, which will be taken electronically at the time of the application. It is required that every applicant appears in person at the German Foreign Mission.

It is no longer possible to extend passports. Instead you will be issued a new document.

First time application or renewal?

If your last German passport expired more than 15 years ago, your application will be treated as a first time application. For further Information please refer to: first time application

If your German passport is still valid or if your last German passport expired no longer than 15 years ago, please continue reading.

Who can apply for a German Passport?

Only German citizens may apply for a German passport. If you do not know whether you are (still) a German citizen and eligible to apply for a German passport, please read the following information on German citizenship:

How long does it take to get my passport?

Passports are printed in Berlin by the Bundesdruckerei.

The processing time for passports and ID-cards is at present approx. 8-10 weeks. If you submit your passport application at one of our Honorary Consul's offices, in Montreal (consular days) or at the Embassy in Ottawa the processing time will take approx. 2 weeks longer. You have the option to apply for an express passport, which can take up to 4 weeks (depending on the arrival of the diplomatic mail bag from Germany) for an additional fee of approx. 50,- CAD.

How long is my passport valid?

If you are younger than 24 years of age your passport will be valid for 6 years. If you are 24 years or older it will be valid for 10 years.

What documents do I need for a passport application?

All documents have to be handed in as original + one copy.

Copies certified by a notary public or a German public authority can take the place of an original for many documents. However, passports, ID Cards, Canadian PR Cards or visas and all citizenship documents (incl. naturalization/citizenship certificates and so-called “Beibehaltungsgenehmigung”) have to be presented as originals!

All birth certificates must state the names of the parents (no “short form”)!

Documents not issued in German, English or French have to be translated into German or English.

Please submit the following documents when you apply for your passport in person:


Completed and signed application form:

List of documents required for passport application for adults (renewal only) PDF / 562 KB

Passport application form PDF / 614 KB


One biometric passport picture, good contrast. Please do not cut the passport pictures.

Photo requirements for German passports


Last German passport (If your last passport was lost or stolen, a police report documenting the loss is required.)


Birth certificate (Canadian birth certificates must contain the parent’s information as well as information of the name – the birth certificate “birth certificate with parental information” is not sufficient, the birth certificate is required, which in Ontario, for example , is called a “Certified Copy of Birth Registration” or “Statement of Live Birth”).


If you were naturalized in Canada: Canadian certificate of citizenship + “Beibehaltungsgenehmigung”, permit to retain German citizenship when adopting another citizenship


If you live in Canada as a foreigner: valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card OR valid visa OR Search of Citizenship Records (issued within the last 3 months)


If applicable: your marriage certificate (If married in Canada, the official certificate from the registrar’s office / Directeur de l’état civil is required. Documents issued by a church or other religious institution are not sufficient.)


If your name has changed since your birth: a certificate of name issued by a German civil registry OR (for late repatriates) “Angleichungserklärung” or “Registrierschein” showing the name change.


If the address in your last passport is still a German residence: proof of deregistration (“Abmeldebescheinigung”)


Fees: applicants over 24 yrs: approx. CAN $ 130,- (depending on the exchange rate)

Applicants under 24 yrs: approx. CAN $ 95,- (depending on the exchange rate)

An additional fee of approx. CAN $ 100,- will apply for applications submitted with an Honorary Consul (in AB, NFL, NS, ON, MB, SK).

An additional fee of up to CAN $ 100,- applies if the applicant still has a registered residence in Germany.


XPresspost prepaid envelope “standard size” (personal pick-up of passports is only available in Vancouver).

Please note: Shipments within one province or between ON and Q or between BC, AB and SK can be XPresspost prepaid envelope regional, all others require XPresspost envelope national. We recommend to buy and affix the extra sticker for delivery against signature only.


Signed notice on the use of mail services:

Use of mail services form PDF / 408 KB

Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

Where can I apply for a German passport?

If you are not registered in Germany you may apply at the German Foreign Mission that serves your area.

You may also apply with one of our Honorary Consuls Offices. Additional fees may apply.

Please visit our service overview to find the mission that serves your area.

Please note that you must book an appointment:

Additional content

The fee is to be paid at the time of your application at the German Mission. You may pay the fee with credit card (Visa or Mastercard, the amount will be charged in Euro) or in cash in CAD. (Payments…

Passport fees

Please book an appointment for the consular services at the German Consulates in Toronto and Vancouver online in advance for services that require a personal appointment and cannot be done via mail.

Book an appointment with the Consular Section

Please use this form to contact us in consular matters

Contact in consular matters

Related content

Top of page