Marriage in Canada and Germany

A man’s hand holding a woman’s hand with a wedding ring

Marriage, © colourbox


Marriage in Canada is recognized by German authorities.

Please note that a name declaration for German jurisdiction might be necessary. More information on name declaration can be found here.

Furthermore, if at least one of the two partners is a German national, you can ask for registration of your marriage in a German register either directly at the competent German Standesamt or through the competent German Foreign Mission.

More information (in German language)

Getting married in Germany

  • For all questions regarding which documents must be presented in Germany in order to get married there, we strongly suggest contacting the competent civil registry office (Standesamt) in the city where you are getting married as the requirements might differ depending on the city.

For marriage in Germany, the Canadian partner has to prove that he/she is allowed to marry according to his/her home country’s law. If the Canadian spouse lives in Canada and is not registered in Germany, he/she has to swear an affidavit in front of a notary public. The Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa issues a so called “Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to marriage abroad” upon this sworn affidavit of the Canadian citizen. For more information, please visit the website of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada:

Website of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada: Authentication of Documents

The affidavit can be signed even at the German Foreign Mission. Either affidavit needs to be shown to the Standesamt. Please contact the German mission in advance to book an appointment.

Detailed information about international marriage and recognition of foreign divorce from the Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Additional content

Please book an appointment for the consular services at the German Consulates in Toronto and Vancouver online in advance for services that require a personal appointment and cannot be done via mail.

Book an appointment with the Consular Section

Please use this form to contact us in consular matters

Contact in consular matters

Related content

Top of page